The public house lies at the centre of the village on the north side of the main road from Wombourne into Sedgley. An easy down hill walk from Sedgley’s Bull Ring and its once rural setting have made it a popular place to visit for over a hundred years. Thomas Fereday was the publican in the 1850s, Charles Walker at the start of the C20th and George Harrison around 1912.
The building is now well below the present-day pavement suggesting a much changed route over the centuries. Indeed the road passes through a nearby sandstone cutting which dates from before the C16th and it is likely earth moved from here over the years has been deposited in the village causing some properties to be overshadowed as the road level was raised.
The upper photograph shows the greatly extended pub at the bottom of a steep sloping car park. The lower photograph looks towards Sedgley and the cutting with a 300 year old white painted cottage, once part of the Earl of Dudley’s estates, half hidden by the raised carriageway. The Banks pub sign can be glimpsed a short way past the cottage.
Both views were taken in August 2003.